E. Smith and the E. Smith E. Man want to share their 50+ years of experience and great service with you! Keep up with our blog for all of our news and happenings!
Take advantage of E. Smith’s Tune Up Special and be ready for Spring AND Summer. For just $69.00 we will tune up one system and each additional system is just $50.00. Call us today – this special offer ends May 31, 2013 (single-family homes only, cannot be combined with other offers).
Use promo code: SPWEB13
Spring is here and we’re welcoming the breezy, warm air! E. Smith wants to give our readers a few green tips to keep in mind this spring. Implement them into your lifestyle and you can experience some BIG savings!
1. Set your air conditioning to run 1º warmer as the weather heats up – reduce carbon emissions while saving money and energy
2. Use rechargeable batteries
3. Wash your clothes in cold water when possible
4. Plant trees to shade your home, without blocking air conditioning units
5. Turn off lights and fans when you’re not in the room – turn off bathroom and kitchen ventilation fans within 20 minutes
The first day of spring is ahead, March 20, and that means it’s time for some spring cleaning! Say goodbye to disorganization, safety hazards and dirty rooms. We have a few items for you to check off of your spring cleaning list.
- Check for and remove household hazards (debris, water leaks, blocked vents/registers, damaged appliance cords)
- Check your safety equipment (make sure alarms are working–fire and carbon monoxide; review your household emergency plan; ensure fire extinguishers function properly)
- Organize cleaning chemicals (flammable liquids should be stored in a cool, dry place; keep hazardous chemicals away from children & pets; make sure all chemical containers are sealed)
- Clean the filter under your kitchen sink
- Dust your home to ensure dirt & dander aren’t in the air (ceiling fan blades, bookshelves, blinds, etc.)
- Reorganize appliance cords so you can easily unplug while not in use (this avoids vampire energy)
- Take down your winter drapes and hang lighter drapes
- Clean your chimney
Wanting to stay warm this winter? Let us help you out! Here are a few tips from E. Man to keep your energy bills low and your home warm!
- E. Man Tip: Insulate or increase the amount of insulation in your attic, basement and outside walls. Cover through-the-wall air conditioners to prevent cold air from leaking into your home.
- E. Man Tip: Keep shades and curtains open during the day on the south side of your home to allow for solar heating. Close them at night to retain heat.
- E. Man Tip: Minimize use of bathroom and kitchen vacuum fans – within an hour you can lose a significant amount of your heated air.
Keep up with our blog for more ways to save energy and money!
If you spend your days turning the thermostat up, then down, then back up and back down you could be losing money all year long. Constantly adjusting the thermostat requires a lot of energy – which means a lot of cost. If you want to cut cost (5-20%) and achieve comfort then you should consider purchasing a programmable thermostat.
What are the benefits?
- It’s up to you – adjust the temperature according to your schedule whether you’re at work, at home, asleep or awake.
- It’s convenient – you can often set the schedule to run day-to-day or week-to-week and if you want to change this, just do it manually.
- It's accurate – because you choose the settings and they’re pre-programmed, the system runs smoothly creating a comfortable environment.
- You’ll see savings – running a programmed thermostat properly has the potential to save about $150 per year and lower usage costs.
If you’re looking to ensure that your system is running efficiently call E. Smith at (678) 269-6293. Our maintenance check-up includes thermostat settings, examining controls and much more!
It’s that time of the year. Kids are home from school, holiday baking begins and laundry and dishes pile up! We’ve got a quick tip for extra savings during the holiday season. E. Man Tip #36: Wash and dry full loads of laundry and clean full loads of dishes. This will help save energy and money and you may even find some extra time to bake more of those delicious holiday treats!
E. Man Tip #32: Heating up delicious Thanksgiving leftovers? Consider using a convection oven or microwave to reduce energy usage!
E. Man wants to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving Holiday by delivering a few special energy savings tips!
Cooking a turkey?
- Keep the oven door closed and turn on the light to check your turkey!
- Use your oven’s self-cleaning feature immediately after cooking the turkey. This will use heat already inside the oven rather than heating back up after it has already cooled down.
- Cleaning After the Feast? Consider hand washing your dishes instead of running the dishwasher, but if you would rather let the dishwasher do the work, make sure it’s fully loaded, and if possible, running on an energy-saving cycle.
Doing some Holiday cooking? Save some money in the kitchen with E.Man Tip #30: If you are cooking on the stove make sure you keep lids on your pots and pans and be sure that the coil is not exposed. Both of these tips will help you avoid losing heat!
The holidays are on the way and that means extra cooking, decorating and festivities. E. Smith wants to make sure you celebrate the safe way. Look for our special Holiday Safety posts every Wednesday through January 1st for tips and ideas! Holiday Safety Tip: Getting ready to put up decorations? If you're putting up strands of lights be sure to check for broken, frayed or damaged sets and either fix or discard.
Tonight is the night for trick-or-treating and spooky fun! Here are a few festive safety and energy saving tips to keep in mind.
• Dim your lights in the house – it'll be spookier and you'll save money and energy!
• Make sure trick-or-treaters carry a flashlight.
• Remind children not to enter homes and if an adult is not present, kids should trick-or-treat in groups.
National Energy Awareness Month is almost over, but that doesn't mean you have to stop saving! Now that your energy savings efforts have begun, be sure to keep them up. Check our blog for E. Man tips and learn ways you can continue saving. National Energy Awareness Month Tip #3: Dripping faucets keeping you awake at night? Then get them fixed! Check for leaky faucets and plumbing to save energy and money.